For Buyers > REO Homes for Workforce
REO Homes for Workforce
From 2011-2014, Northbay Family Homes operated a program to help the local workforce purchase affordable Marin County homes near local jobs, schools, shopping and transit. This program is currently suspended. Please check back in the future as this situation may change.
NFH completed energy efficient renovations of 2- and 3- bedroom affordable homes in Marin County, and resold those homes at affordable prices - from $210,000-$305,000. NFH, (partnering with its sister nonprofit SALT) continues to identify and secure foreclosed properties, including REOs and short sales, for renovations and resale to lower income working families. Check back in with us for news of this program becoming active again.
Downpayment Eligibility in Marin
The Cal Home Mortgage Assistance Program can help borrowers qualify for up to $54,000 in downpayment assistance. One of the eligibility criteria is to take a homebuyer counseling course offered through NFH. This program is designed for working families. Qualified families will earn no more than 80% of Marin County Area Median Income (as of 2014):
- $70,900 for 2 persons
- $79,750 for 3 persons
- $88,600 for 4 persons
- Have sufficient annual household income to qualify for a 30-year fixed rate home loan.
- Have not owned a home in the last 3 years (some exceptions apply).
- Have a down payment of at least 3.5% of sales price. (Gifted funds, housing voucher, escrowed funds and IDEA are O.K.!
- Homes must be owner occupied, not rented.
- Qualified families may receive up to $15,000 in down payment assistance. No obligation to repay if you stay in your home at least 5 years.
- Additional down payment assistance loan of up to 3% of purchase price available from the State of California.
- Homes prices expected to range from $200,000 to $350,000.
Ready to buy a home?
We will be acquiring and renovating homes once this program has been reactivated. Please check back later.
It Happened to Us!
Learn how the Bruinsma Family was able to purchase a Home for the Workforce with help from Northbay Family Homes. Read more.
Thanks to our sponsor:
NFH and SALT acknowledge the generous support of the San Francisco Foundation which provided a grant under its Foreclosure Response and Neighborhood Preservation program to make the REO Homes for the Workforce possible.